Student-Athlete Speaking Appearances
Release Statement (PDF File)
Smith Project Form (PDF File)
Student-Athlete Speaking Engagements - The Smith Project Speakers' Bureau
Student-athletes at The University of Arizona are regarded as a role models in the Tucson community. Many children and young adults look up to the Wildcats, as they achieve continuous success, not only on the field, but also in the classroom. The University of Arizona Athletics Department feels fortunate to have an opportunity to give back to the community through the Smith Project Speakers' Bureau.
The Smith Project Speakers' Bureau is an avenue for local schools and non-profit organizations to interact with Arizona student-athletes. Through the Smith Project, Wildcat student-athletes venture out into the community to speak on a variety of issues. These include, but are not limited to: the detriments of drug and alcohol abuse, handling peer pressure, setting and achieving goals, and understanding the importance of an education. New programs are scheduled to be added in the fall of 2000: Cats International, Kiddy Cats, W.I.L.D. Cats (Why I Love to Dream), EduCats, WebCats, Lead To Succeed, and Campus Cats.
If you are interested in having a Wildcat student-athlete visit your school, please contact Vicky Maes in the C.A.T.S. Community Service Office to learn more about the Smith Project Speakers' Bureau.
- Requests need to be submitted three weeks before the desired appearance. Flexible dates and times are appreciated.
- Speaking engagements are maximum 60 minutes.
- Student-athletes will be driven to and from your organization by a UA staff member (up to 30 miles from The University of Arizona).
The program is completely voluntary - not all of our student-athletes have the time to participate. As a result, we are unable to accommodate requests for individual student-athletes.
- To arrange a student-athlete appearance, call/e-mail Vicky Maes with your fax number or address and the necessary paperwork will be mailed to you.
- Complete the request form and release statement and please return to the Athletics Department 3 weeks prior to the appearance date.
- After receiving your information, you will be contacted to schedule the appearance.
Submit requests to:
Community Service Coordinator
1 National Championship Drive
P.O. Box 210096
Tucson, AZ 85