Arizona State Men's Tennis Defeats Arizona, 6-1
TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona State men's tennis team (8-12, 1-6 Pac-10) defeated the University of Arizona (10-11, 2-5 Pac-10), 6-1, today in the final regular season dual of the season at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
The Sun Devils recorded the first point of the dual by winning two of the three doubles matches. The first match was determined early on the third court as senior Ed Carter and Pim Van Mele downed UA's Alex Aybar and Tom Lloyd, 8-4. The win marked Carter's 80th career doubles win in his four years at Arizona State.
The second court clinched the point for ASU, when senior Alex Osterrieth and freshman Andrew Golub earned an 8-5 win over Alex Brown and Brian Jackson. The Wildcats would win their lone doubles match on the first court as Jean-Noel LaCoste and Michel Stopa defeated freshman Mitchell Bowen and sophomore Matt Klinger, 8-4.
In singles action, the Sun Devils claimed five of six singles matches all in straight sets. On the first court Osterrieth posted his 91st career win as he dispatched Aybar, 6-4, 6-3, while Carter tallied his 81st career singles win with a dominating 6-0, 6-1 victory over UA's LaCoste.
ASU freshmen Van Mele and Golub also collected quick, straight set victories on courts four and five respectively. Klinger ended the dual on court three with a 6-4, 6-3 win over UA's Stopa. The Wildcats sole singles win occurred on the sixth court when ASU's Bowen had to retire, giving Caleb Marquardt the win.
Up next, Arizona State as well as Arizona will compete at the Pac-10 Championships in Ojai, Calif., April 27-30.
1. (85) Alex Osterrieth (ASU) def. Alex Aybar (UA), 6-4, 6-3
2. Ed Carter (ASU) def. Jean-Noel LaCoste (UA), 6-0, 6-1
3. Matt Klinger (ASU) def. Michel Stopa (UA), 6-4, 6-3
4. Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. Alex Brown (UA), 6-3, 6-3
5. Andrew Golub (ASU) def. Tom Lloyd (UA), 6-3, 6-3
6. Caleb Marquardt (UA) def. Mitchell Bowen (ASU), 6-1, 2-6, retired
1. LaCoste/Stopa (UA) def. Bowen/Klinger (ASU), 8-4
2. Golub/Osterrieth (ASU) def. Brown/Brian Jackson (UA), 8-5
3. Carter/Van Mele (ASU) def. Aybar/Lloyd (UA), 8-4